jenn

Murder by Death

2015 Challenges - February Progress

Doing a monthly check-in might keep me motivated to stick to my reading goals for the year, so here's how I fared so far:

Yearly Reading Challenge:

I read 19 books in February, for a total so far of 42 out of 175 so I'm approximately 25% of the way there.

Average one non-fiction book a month (12 this year)

I read another 6 non-fiction books this month, which means I've met my challenge for this year already.  Un-heard of for me with non-fiction, since I'm generally really choosy about them.  I'm going to keep on with this one though.

History:  3

I know, Interior Desecrations pushes it as history, but it is - it's a historical testament to historically bad taste.  ;)

Memoirs: 2

I'm on a serious memoir kick at the moment...

Science: 1

Possibly the best book I read all month (non-fiction).

Re-read and review some of the older books on my shelves and try to fill in those review gaps.

Still just one this month - but at least it's 1 more I've checked off the list.

I also re-read Gail Carriger's Changeless (audio) and Amanda Quick's Perfect Poison but I had already reviewed those previously, so I'm not really counting them.

PopSugar Reading Challenge:

These are the prompts I've ticked off so far :

[X] A book that became a movie Under the Tuscan Sun

[X] A book published this year - In Hot Water
[X] A book written by someone under 30 - Love and Freindship: and Other Youthful Writings
[X] A book with nonhuman characters Paw Enforcement

[X] A funny book Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s
[X] A book with a female author Meet Your Baker
[X] A mystery or thriller - Keeper of the Castle

[X] A book set in a different country The Year of Living Danishly: Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country
[X] A nonfiction book Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends

[X] A popular author's first book - Magic Bites
[X] A memoir What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding
[X] A book you can finish in a day Death, Taxes, and Silver Spurs (Jan. 3 '15)

[X] A book that came out the year you were born 84, Charing Cross Road

[X] A book set in the future Magic Burns
[X] A book that made you cry  The Bookshop Book
[X] A book with magic Some Enchanted Éclair

[X] A graphic novel  Star Wars Adventures: The Will of Darth Vader
[X] A book by an author you've never read before An Exaltation of Larks: The Ultimate Edition

[X] A book you own but have never read  Keeping Mum
[X] A book that takes place in your hometown The Cat Sitter's Cradle
[X] A play - The Mousetrap

21 out of 53, about 40% of the way there.

I'm also participating in Sock Puppet at Play's 2015 Read-by-the-month Challenge as an add-on challenge and I read 1 book that matched the February prompts.  (Magic Strikes - character who sacrifices for love [Kate, red sword]).