jenn

Murder by Death

#BookADayUK - Day 17 - Novel which surprised you most

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

I've got to go with two today.

I don't like general fiction, er...generally speaking.  Most of my attempts have ended up being "too" something for me:  too emotional, too graphic, too manipulative, too whatever.  But I read the synopsis for Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore and was intrigued.  The reviews made it sound spectacular.  I needed to expand beyond my cozy mysteries horizons.  So I read it, opening the front cover with a "just read it and get through it" attitude.  I LOVED this book!  It was like a fairy tale for book lovers.

As to Pride and Prejudice I will admit that the first time I read it I did so for the sole reason of - and forgive me for putting this quite so bluntly and disrespectfully - shutting my mother up.  By the time I got out of University, I was up to my eyeballs in "classic literature that's good for me".  I'd read Sense & Sensibility and while I thought it was good I didn't really see what all the fuss was about.  But my mom kept on about P&P, so I finally opened it dreading every word I was about to read.

And then I got it.  Now I know what all the fuss is about.  :)