jenn

Murder by Death

The Goodreads/BookLikes Tag

Degrees of Affection tagged me for this - Thanks!  I'm having so much fun reading everyone's responses.  Here goes:

I don't spend nearly as much time on GoodReads as I used to. I check in on my groups each day, and update my reading status, but that's about it.

1. What was the last book you marked as 'Read'?

The Book Stops Here by Kate Carlisle

2. What are you 'Currently Reading'?

The audio book of O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King  and

in print, Among the Janeites: A Journey through the World of Jane Austen Fandom by Deborah Yaffe

3. What was the last book you marked as 'To-Read'?

The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

4. What book do you plan to read next?

I don't have a clue.  I have piles of books in my TBR stack and when I'm ready to start a new book I go in and stare at the stack until one of the titles just "clicks" with me and I think "yes, I choose you".  Only it sounds less dramatic in my head.

5. Do you use the star rating system?

Yes.  A 3 star read is "average" - it was neither good nor bad.  I rate within a genre or subject, so a 5 star cozy mystery is an outstanding *cozy mystery*, not a comparative rating to Jane Austen or Conan Doyle (as examples).

6. Are you doing a 2014 reading challenge?

Yes. 200 books.

7. Do you have a wishlist?

I have a "To-buy" list.  My life is pleasantly boring and I don't have the usual number of economic habits (i.e. smoking, eating out, movies, shopping), so my disposable income goes to books (and gardening).  I do like a bargain though, so I pre-order everything I can to get the discount, which means nobody has a chance to buy me books for gifts, because odds are I've already bought it.  So, no wish list.

8. What book do you want to buy next?

Um, what's being published in September?  Actually, The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: And Other True Stories of Trauma, Madness, Affliction, and Recovery That Reveal the Surprising History of the Human Brain was published while I wasn't paying attention and I love Sam Kean's books, so that's the next one.

9. Do you have any favorite quotes? Would you like to share a few?

I am not much of a quote collector, but Einstein comprises much of what I do like:

“Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.” - Albert Einstein

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” - Albert Einstein

10. Who are your favorite authors?

Too many over too many genres.  Conan Doyle, Austen, Bill Bryson, Donna Andrews, ad infinitum...

11. Have you joined any groups?

Yes.  I still belong to cozy mystery groups on GR and I belong to a few here on BL and a few on Leafmarks.

12. Are there any questions you'd like to add to this tag?

Nope, but I'll answer Degrees of Affection...'s:

12.1. Are you more of a personal book reader or a library reader?

Personal book reader.  I grew up across the street from a library and I love, love, love them.  But the one here in my current neighborhood is not plentiful in books that appeal to me and InterLibrary Loans, last I checked, was $5 per book.  For that, I can buy them (see item #7, above).

I don't know who all has been tagged so far, so if I hit someone who's already been tagged, my apologies:

What is Kimberly reading now?

Rane Aria