jenn

Murder by Death

Wild Things (Chicagoland Vampires, #9)

Wild Things - Chloe Neill

I think I've mentioned before my love of this series, so I'll dispense with the series wide gushing.

Wild Things is a strong entry in the Chicagoland mythology.  The gang's all here for this one and I for one am happy to see Mallory back and almost her usual snarky self, performing cool magic for good, not evil.  If vampires, witches and weres existed, these are the supes I'd want in my reality.  But definitely not the elves.  Yikes!

That's right, elves are the new supernatural introduced in Wild Things and they're not Legolas.  They're vicious and they've thrown down a gauntlet.  Either Merit, Ethan and the weres find their missing elf mother or the Elves will exact revenge for every slight in history perpetrated against them.  Pushpin, meet sledgehammer.  Also, someone is performing mega magic and it's not a witch and it's not white magic.  Oh! and the city of Chicago wants to make an example out of Ethan.

Obviously, there's a lot going on in this book and it's not a simple plot.  Ms. Neill pulls it all together rather well, I think.  As with all the books in the series, once I picked it up, I didn't really want to put it down and the reading went quickly as I was absorbed in the story, the setting and the humour.  I love the humour.

This is one of the series I compare all my other UF reading to, which is probably why I don't end up reading a ton of UF.  Many might argue it's not the best example of it's genre, but it entertains the hell out of me and that's what I want from my fiction more than anything else.  I can't wait for the next book!