jenn

Murder by Death

Griffin & Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence

Griffin & Sabine:  An Extraordinary Correspondence - Nick Bantock

When I was going to Uni, I worked for a professor doing pretty much whatever needed done.  One of those things was picking up her daughter from school and staying with her until her mom came home.  Said daughter was really old enough to amuse herself (a pre-teen) so I was mostly left with lots of time on my hands to read.  When I didn't have reading of my own, I attacked their bookshelves.  This is how I read most of the Nancy Drew books and R.L. Stine's Goosebumps books and most importantly, this is how I first discovered Griffin & Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence.

When I first saw the book on the shelf and opened it up, I thought to myself "how cool! it's like a pop-up book for adults!"  And I lusted after the book because it was so cool and the artwork just stunningly beautiful.  Years pass and I've finally bought the book for myself and it's still cool and it's still stunningly beautiful.

Sabine is living in the South Pacific on one of the Sicmon Islands and Griffin is an artist in London.  The two have never met, but Sabine sends him a postcard commenting on one of his drawings, revealing information she couldn't possibly have.  Thus begins the unusual correspondence between these two people on opposites sides of the world.

Each postcard is beautifully illustrated and each letter in it's own pasted-onto-the-page envelope.   The details on the envelopes and their enclosures are like little treasures waiting to be discovered and enjoyed.

The "story" itself is short but moving and the emotional development stirs ones empathy.  The ending is haunting.  And the whole thing isn't more than 32 pages long.

There are additional books where their story continues, but I can't decide if I want to know what happens next or not.  Although the artwork would be worth the knowing...