jenn

Murder by Death

Death is in the Air (Manor House Mystery #2)

Death is in the Air - Kate Kingsbury

The books in this series are quick, easy, reads.  They are even quicker as re-reads.  I picked this one up after a day of house-cleaning and gardening, thinking "I'll read this until I'm ready to fall asleep" and was then surprised to find I'd finished the book.

Lady Elizabeth is much less eye-rollingly nose-in-the-air in this second book.  She's trying to find ways to assist the British Army and the American Air Force recruits find common ground with each other, instead of getting drunk and beating the crap out of each other.  She's also doing her best to find the murderer of a land girl as well as a German bomber pilot that crash landed in the village and is evading arrest (or lynching by the village housewives).

The mystery is light, the characters likeable, but the setting of WWII England is what really sucks me in.  The chemistry between Lady Elizabeth and Colonel Monroe has a strong pull on me as well.  The tension between these two is delicious, and I'm looking forward to watching these two over the course of the series, all over again.