jenn

Murder by Death

Lowcountry Boil (Liz Talbot Mystery #1)

Lowcountry Boil - Susan M. Boyer

I started reading this book on the train, because I had forgotten to bring the book I was currently reading and I was desperate to kill the time on the train. I bought it when Henry Press was having a sale on their books in the Kindle Store. Boy am I glad I did!

I found Lowcountry Boil to be an excellent read and an outstanding first in a series. From the moment the ghost showed up the first time, I was hooked. I was actually looking forward to getting back on the train so I'd be able to open the book back up; I ended up finishing it in one day.

I found the characters to be realistic, entertaining and engaging. The author perfectly balanced the ghost's presence throughout the story - she complemented, rather than overwhelmed the plot line. This might be the first book I've ever read where I actually enjoyed the family/sibling dynamic. They liked each other without being drippy and fought without being over-the-top nasty.

The setting, a small island off the coast of South Carolina, lent itself to the colour and quirkiness of the overall story. There's just something about a mystery that takes place on an island. Don't ask me to explain it.

I loved reading how this community was anti-development and built itself up around the idea of protecting their pristine island - perfectly mirroring my own ideas of conservation and protection. I would have loved to have been a native of this island.

The plot was really, truly, well done. It was a bit of a twisty plot towards the end that I just didn't see coming at all. Not a clue.

Overall, this was a really well written cozy; a mature writing-style that was a level above what you normally find in a lot of the cozies written for the mass market. I cannot wait for the next book to come out in September and read more about the people on this quirky little island off the coast of South Carolina.