jenn

Murder by Death

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes Mystery #1)

The Beekeeper's Apprentice - Laurie R. King

I started reading this because I had read Laurie King's short story in the Sherlock anthology she edited, and I really liked how her story felt like a plausible Sherlock Holmes story - she was true to what I saw in the character of the world's greatest detective.

This story didn't disappoint - I'd like to think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself would be pleased with the book. True, it showed a slightly more human Sherlock, but since it's told from a female viewpoint, it's plausible (Sherlock was always a gentleman with the ladies in his cases). His cold logic, however, and certain lack of humanity, were still there to be seen. The book covers a lot of time - about 4 (5?) years and more than a few cases, ranging from trivial to life-changing.

I enjoyed the narrative of Mary Russell, and I appreciated the austere style of writing.  I'd recommend this book to anyone who's read the Sherlock Holmes cannon and wants to keep visiting with the man. Be sure to read the Editor's preface - it threw me for a loop and I still don't know wether to believe it to be true or not, but it certainly puts a different spin on one's reading.