jenn

Murder by Death

Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #4)

Red Velvet Revenge - Jenn McKinlay

Another great book in a great series! I love all the characters, and I think this one was probably my favourite due to a combination of great romantic tension, an excellent murder plot and the fact that the nemesis in the series, Olivia Pucket, was mostly absent (she's just a little over-the-top for me).

Red Velvet Revenge takes place at a rodeo in northern Arizona and Ms, McKinlay did an excellent job with the suspects, clues and denouement. I really had no idea who the murderer was until the reveal. The dialogue throughout the book is witty, fast-paced and humorous, especially within the main cast of characters.

In previous books, I found that the movie quotes felt over-done, but they were beautifully woven in throughout this story and I felt them to be a perfect addition to every scene. While there weren't any real cliffhangers, there were a couple of unresolved questions hanging out there that I can't wait to read more about in the next book.  A really excellent read.