jenn

Murder by Death

Thread on Arrival (Embroidery Shop Mystery #5)

Thread on Arrival - Amanda     Lee

This book, and this series in general, just don't do it for me. Halfway through I had decided I'd finish, but not read any further into the series. The writing just felt so flat, so 1950's-ish. A bit prudish. Don't get me wrong - I love cozies and I'm not looking for a lot of sex, etc. I can point to quite a few books/series whose writing relies on inferences rather than detail and the writing pops.

Still, by the second half of the book, the story picked up a bit - once you got past her best friend acting like a sulky child (who does this?!?) and all the awkward moments in the beginning of the book. The murderer was screamingly obvious to me from almost the start, but there was a bit of a twist at the end I didn't see coming. The ending wasn't bad, a bit anti-climatic, but I liked it. Most of the characters are likeable. I'm still not sure I'll pick up the next or not - probably will.