jenn

Murder by Death

India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy (A Madam of Espionage Mystery #3)

India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy - Carol K. Carr

A fun read. An interesting plot that was sort of funny at the end. Great acerbic wit from India. Each of the characters in Ms. Black's world are excellently drawn and real enough that one can picture them as they interact with one another. Indeed, as much as I like the character of Vincent, I really wish he'd embrace personal hygiene as I find my nose crinkling up every time he arrives on the scene, as if I smell something foul.

Ms. Carr does such an excellent job describing Victorian London that I find myself cringing every time anyone has to walk in the rain, or has the misfortune to get dunked in the Thames. And we're finally getting down to brass tacks about both French and India's background. Lots of obstacles for these two, aside from her being a madam!

I'm really looking forward to India and French's next adventure, and learning more about where Ms. Black's familial roots lie...