jenn

Murder by Death

The Christie Curse (A Book Collector Mystery #1)

The Christie Curse - Victoria Abbott

This book was a 5 star read until about 2/3 of the way through. I remember just about everything I read, so take this next bit with a grain of salt if you don't agree.

About 2/3 of the way through the book, Jordan starts on the introspection, internal dialogue and "let's make a list of the suspects" that goes on for a bit and my attention was lost. I understand that these are devices for keeping the reader in the story by summarising what's taken place so far, a "refresher", if you will, but since it's all still clear in my head, use of these devices allows my attention to wander, I get bored, and I tend to put the book down and walk away. Or I skim through all the "boring bits".

Up until that point, and once I got past it, however, this book is excellent! A first person POV that's a narration - you're not really inside Jordan's head, because you don't have to suffer through her angst, or her deepest emotions. The Christie Curse reminded me of Christie's or Sayer's writing style and I enjoyed it immensely. This book is more about the mystery than it is about the characters. For 80% of the book, the action was fast paced and well-written. The plot itself was really, really well crafted - the murderer was never even on my radar and the twist at the end was really clever.

Overall, this book is a fantastic introduction to a new series that left me wanting more. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.