jenn

Murder by Death

Once Bitten Twice Shy (Jaz Parks Adventures #1)

Once Bitten, Twice Shy  - Jennifer Rardin

REVIEW from April 2013

While I read quite a bit of paranormal, this isn't my typical type - it's a bit more "hard-boiled" than what I usually pick up, but I was intrigued by the characters of Jaz and Vayl.

Once I picked the book up, I didn't want to put it down, it was a very good read. The good guys were all likeable and the bad guys were appropriately despicable. I wasn't sure the plot line sounded all that interesting to me initially but I found it moving along and holding my interest from beginning to end. I'll be picking up the rest of the books in this series, although I'll probably space them out more than I normally would when I find an established series.

-------------

UPDATE:  Re-read with Degrees of Affection June 20, 2014.

After reading this the first time I'd heard the author passed away and that authorities had filed cause of death as suicide.  From what I've read, this is contested and debated, but the seed was planted, and I found it colouring my perception during this re-read.  I found myself reading a lot of what Jaz said in the first third of the book and thinking: are there clues in Jaz's character/dialogue to the author's inner turmoil?  Or, more likely, I'm seeing them because I'm unconsciously looking for them.  Either way, this re-read gave me something more to think about.

Still lots of fun to be had though - and the opening of chapter 1 with the old lady driving slow in a car the size of an aircraft carrier made me laugh - that's the millstone every Floridian wears around their neck in exchange for warm winters and sunny days.  The author nailed that in one.

I still enjoyed the heck out of this book the second time around, even though I'll admit the whole raise the demon plot isn't really one of my favourites.  I'm looking forward to my first time read of book 2 Another One Bites the Dust.