jenn

Murder by Death

Board Stiff (Elliot Lisbon Mystery #1)

Board Stiff - Kendel Lynn

A very strong first book. Excellent, vivid characters. Almost-tropical island setting. A sprinkle of humour, and a bit of sexual tension to keep things fun.

The mystery was very well crafted and I think the author did an excellent job of hiding the murderer in plain sight. There were a few slapstick moments in the book - you either like slapstick or you don't. The only moment I found I could have done without involved getting into a poker game, and I'll leave it at that. It all turned out well, but it just seemed too over-the-top. I'm also not loving the possibility of a love triangle - no thank you, they never end up being written to be interesting (unless your last name is Evanovich, and frankly, I can't figure out how she manages to pull it off).

All in all a very fun read - it kept my interest from beginning to end and I only had to skip about a page of internal dialogue. I rate that as a success!  I'll be looking for the next book and hope Ransom is in for the long haul.