jenn

Murder by Death

Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson #5)

Fifth Grave Past the Light - Darynda Jones

Love love love this book. Love this whole series. Ms. Jones has a unique ability (IMO) to take a very dark subject matter (or matters) and make it bearable to get through it. Charlie has had every bad thing thrown at her in this series, and they are all written graphically, and without holding back. Normally, this would cause me to run rapidly in the opposite direction, but she also writes with such compassion, humour, and scathing wit. I find the latter helps me get through the former.

The mythology(?) of Charlie's world comes together in this book and I was totally sucked in - and relieved that what she'd been led to believe about the future was inaccurate. Questions are answered in this book, in between solving murders and other mysteries. I can't wait to see what happens with all of these people coming together: Cookie, Uncle Bob, Garret, Quentin, Reyes, Sister Mary Elizabeth. Charlie is getting herself a gang. As for Reyes and Charlie, well damn. Hot damn. Literally. Just taking these two and their relationship into consideration, this is by far the best book of the series so far.

Thank you Ms. Jones, for writing a story/series I can lose myself in and come out of grinning like a fool.