jenn

Murder by Death

Rubbed Out (A Memphis BBQ Mystery Series #4)

Rubbed Out - Riley Adams

I have to admit it.  I'm not a huge fan of mysteries with older protagonists.  They're usually slower paced, with less snappy dialogue and very little romance.  Rubbed out ticks all three of these boxes.  That's why it's a three star read for me.

But I do love BBQ and living in Australia now, I find I miss Southern BBQ a lot.  So I picked up this series when it first came out and thought I'd give it a try.  They were never favourites, but the first three books were livelier than this one;  the characters were a bit more quirky.  This one really just felt like it was going through the paces.

The plot was predictable.  The author did a good job of trying to lead the reader on a merry chase, but ultimately I wasn't surprised at all by the ending.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd steer anyone clear of reading this book.  I think quite a few out there who like their cozies extra-cozy will enjoy this series.  If you look for older protagonists, this book and this series will fit that bill perfectly.  But I'm thinking next time I start getting homesick for BBQ, I'll just slow cook me some pulled-pork and make some  cornbread.