jenn

Murder by Death

Where to go to guarantee easy social distancing ... and birds

Several weeks (months?) ago, I mentioned that I'd been early awaiting an excursion that required a permit.  Well, the permit finally arrived and we've been twice already.  Where to?

The Werribee Western Water Treatment Plant.

Yep, a sewage treatment center.  But not just any water treatment plant, this one covers more than 100 sq. km, and is part of an international treaty - the Rasmar Convention - that protects wetlands across the world for migratory birds.  This, along with the large area of permanent standing water, has made it the second most bio-diverse spot in Australia after Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory. (More information about the plant can be found in this very well-written article.)

After our first trip, I made an important realisation: as much as I loved my new camera, I made a mistake not going for a telephoto lens.  I rectified that in the following weeks and a follow up trip has justified my decision, though also made it clear I have a steep learning curve ahead.

For the bird lovers, or those just wanting a break from all the doom and gloom, I give you a selection of the more well executed photos, or more interesting species of birds from those two trips.  There will definitely be future trips made, and should everyone here finally see the light and admit wide-spread social distancing is necessary, we'll definitely be able to flee to this quiet, gorgeous (yes, gorgeous, and almost not-at-all smelly!) patch of land, where it's pretty much just us and the birds whenever we need a sanity break.

White-faced Heron:

Golden-headed Cisticola:

Australian Pelican:

White-fronted Chat:

Tree Martin, Fairy Martin and Welcome Swallow:

Kites:  Whistling or Black, I'm not sure which (I suck as a 'birder')

Brown Falcon:

Black Swan:

Welcome Swallow:

Swamp Harrier:

Brolgas:

Not a bird, but a damselfly: