jenn

Murder by Death

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan

I loved this book! I was drawn to it by the bookstore setting and the strange, secret behaviour of the customers. But what a great tale that unfolded! I really enjoyed and really appreciated that the author was able to write a compelling story with a really great message at the end without any angst, drama, or tear jerking. This feat is what got that 5th star out of me, as I really dislike books that rely on emotional manipulation to get their point across.

I love printed books but my career is in technology, so I particularly enjoyed the way bleeding edge tech and Old Books were blended in this story, and how the author managed to convey that each had it's place in our current and future world; one does not have to replace the other. He did a very credible job of writing the tech in such a way that I believe most anyone can not only understand it but appreciate the beauty of data manipulation.

The characters throughout the book are always held a bit at arms length, but it doesn't detract from knowing that the main players are likeable and sympathetic - people you'd like to know in your 'real' life. All in all there just wan't anything I didn't really, truly enjoy about this book and I read the whole thing in one go. This will be a book I re-read and enjoy all over again in the future.