jenn

Murder by Death

The Frangipani Tree Mystery (Crown Colony, #1)

The Frangipani Tree Mystery - Ovidia Yu

The first in a series set in Singapore in 1936, featuring SuLin, an English educated amateur sleuth, who becomes a governess to the family of Singapore's acting governor, in an effort to discover who killed the first one.

Definitely a series that's striving to keep off the beaten path of mainstream mysteries, and I think it not only succeeds at that, but also as a solid, well-written first book.  It's not perfect; it drags a bit in the first half, and the culprit was obvious in that it's-always-the-one-you-least-expect kind of way.  But the characters are engaging, and once the story got going, I found I looked forward to picking the book back up again after a break.  There's a hint of maybe a romantic entanglement between SuLin and the Inspector, but she's only 16 in this book, so it's only the vaguest of allusions.

I'll definitely be looking for the other books in the series.  I'm looking forward to immersing myself again in 1930's Singapore.