jenn

Murder by Death

Unplugged and buying books ... therapy for the bibliophilic soul.

As you all know, life has been challenging at maison de chats fous.  I was feeling optimistic on Tuesday that I was finally getting a grip on the work projects, instead of them having a grip on me, but on Wednesday the projects regrouped and retaliated, and by Thursday night I was waving the white flag.  There was a moment on Wednesday where I gave serious consideration to an experiment designed to find out if my iPhone could reach terminal velocity if launched horizontally; like a frisbee.  Thankfully, I got called away and never had time to find out if my hypothesis had the right stuff.

Friday morning, I picked up my phone to check the weather, put it down, and didn't pick it back up again until today (Sunday), and then only to ask Siri to set a timer for 30 seconds, about a dozen times, while I stuck those 3M hooks all over the place.  Likewise, I did not touch my computer all weekend.  I didn't watch TV either, but that doesn't count, since I never watch TV anyway.

Friends I met for coffee on Friday were bug-eyed that I left my phone at home.  But you know what?  I didn't miss it; I never gave it a second thought, in fact, until the same friends asked me about my calendar and I told them I didn't bring my phone with me.

It's been an awesome almost 3 days.  I sat on the couch with my Easter-cat and listened to the fountains in the garden; I read; I worked on a 3000 piece puzzle that MT bought me for Christmas (which has, I think, cured him of buying ever larger puzzles - we haven't seen our dining table in a month).  I *gasp* went to a movie and dinner with friends (saw On the Basis of Sex; I thought it was good - not great, but worth seeing).  I've now seen 2 movies this year, which is 2 more than I've seen in the previous 5+ years.

Before the movie, my friends and I met at a used bookstore; we're all three readers, so we all made our own circuits, and walked out with bags stuffed.  I had a few finds I was excited about, including a biography of Conan Doyle by Hesketh Pearson, and - finally - a copy of Raffles by E.W. Hornung, Conan Doyle's brother-in-law.  I've been looking for a copy for awhile now, so I was super chuffed about that.  I also found a copy of The Nine Tailors, the only one of Sayers books I hadn't yet read.

All in all a really wonderful weekend.  :)