jenn

Murder by Death

24 Festive Tasks: Hogswatch, Tasks #1-4

Task 1:  glingleglingleglingle – if you could wish any kind of god(dess) into existence, what would they be in charge of?  Dusting?  Weeding?  We’re not aiming high here… tell us!

Well, my automatic default when I read this task (one of TA's) was "a book-shelf fairy - of course!".  And I think I'm sticking with that.  A magical fairy that would come make more bookshelves/bookshelf space (without getting rid of my books, so thankyouverymuch MT but you can't be the bookshelf fairy) while I slept.  I'd never run out of shelf space.  Heaven!  If said fairy also knew the Dewey Decimal system, that would be a bonus.

However, so many people have come up with great household goddesses/fairies, that I'm tempted to jump on that band wagon with a request for a fairy that cleans the shower.  I loathe cleaning our shower to the extent that I imagine blowing it up.  It's a horrible corner shower covered in 2-inch (?) tiles.  Which means miles and miles of grout.  I hate grout.  Grout is evil.  Anything I feel compelled to clean with an old toothbrush is evil.  A goddess that battled that would be a welcome minor deity in this house.  Though not as welcome as a bookshelf fairy.

Task 2: Tell us: Did you or any kids you know ever have a funny or weird (the good sort of weird) encounter with a department store Santa, um, Hogfather?

No, Maybe.  When I was 14, 3 of my bffs and I decided it would be great fun to have our picture taken with (mall) Santa.  All at once.  With at least 2 of us sitting on his lap.  Seems somehow hideously inappropriate now, (though hilarious) but at the time, being stupid teenagers, we thought it was brilliant.  Of course we did.  I shudder to think what Santa thought of it.  I still have the photo - boy did we wear a lot of make up.

Task 3:  Which children’s myth / mythical character (Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc.) did you never believe in even when you were little?

I believed in all of them.  I drank the mythological Kool-Aid.  Still do, by the way.  I still believe in all of them (ok, not the tooth-fairy) to this day and none of you can convince me otherwise.  ;-)

Task 4:  Discworld features a number of inventions that mirror our world’s technology but work according to Discworld’s very own specifications; e.g., Hex, the ant-powered sapient thinking machine (computer) and a demon-powered picture box (camera).  What other invention from our world would you have liked to see appearing in Discworld and how might it have worked there?

Yikes.  I haven't read all the Discworld books yet - I haven't even read a quarter of them.  So I have no idea what inventions are on the Disc, still awaiting my discovery.  Also, I suck at this pretty badly - Maybe a television?  One where you insert the book into the top and magical imps that live in the box, take the book, magically absorb the story, and then act it out on the screen for you?