jenn

Murder by Death

24 Festive Tasks: International Day for Tolerance, Task #2

Task 2:  Tell us: What are the tropes (up to 5) that you are not willing to live with in any book (i.e., which are absolutely beyond your capacity for tolerance) and which make that book an automatic DNF for you?  (Insta-love?  Love triangles?  First person present narrative voice?  Talking animals?  The dog dies?  What else?)

1.  Cruelty to animals, or any scene involving animal death.  I automatically avoid books I know of (i.e. Wuthering Heights will forever be an unread classic for me), and DNF those that catch me unawares.  Between Bambi and Ole Yeller in my formative years, I've scarred forever.  (This includes non-fiction too, by the way; I skip the sections/chapters that include animal testing in any science book.)

2. Gratuitously violent scenes.  I can put up with a lot in the abstract, but if the author is going to wallow in any kind of violence, and make the reader do the same, I'm out.  I'll either skip the scene completely or dnf the book.

3. Love triangles.  This one is tricky though.  If I know a book or series features a love triangle, I won't read it.  If I'm reading a series that's introduced a love triangle, I'll see if it resolves itself quickly (within 2-3 books), or the author is going to play it to the hilt.  I can forgive the former, but I'll drop the latter.  The only exception to this is Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.  This is the exception that proves the rule though.

4. The Big Misunderstanding and The Big Miscommunication.  I loathe both of these and they both stem from stupid characters too stupid to open their stupid mouths and talk.  It's also lazy writing - why work hard as plotting when you can just make your characters stupid enough to create your plot devices for you?  There are exceptions, I'm sure, but I've yet to read one of them.