jenn

Murder by Death

Buried in Books (Bibliophile Mystery, #12)

Buried in Books - Kate Carlisle

I used to love this series, but at this point it's more a nostalgic fondness.  I love reading about books, book binding, and book restoration, and the characters are all just ... awesome.  Quirky, kind, strong, and the friendships and family dynamics are amazing.  There was a stupid nemesis character for awhile at the beginning, but Carlisle dumped her, an action with did nothing but improve the story lines.

Alas, this book centered around Brooklyn and Derek's wedding, and I don't like weddings much.  On top of this, while there is a book at the center of the mystery, there's only one scene about bookbinding/conservation and it was brief and had little to do with the plot.

Speaking of plot it was ... scattered.  Even with an epilogue that tied things up it never felt like the criminal solution ever came together.  Everything is answered, but there wasn't a sense of satisfaction about it.  Carlisle does get a bonus point for incorporating every bibliophile's secret fear: death by book avalanche.

Buried in Books struck me as more about Brooklyn and Derek's romance than about plotting out a great murder mystery.    This is a letdown, but the characters go a long way towards staving off complete disappointment.  Hopefully if there's a next book, it'll be more focused on the dead bodies and books.