jenn

Murder by Death

Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks

Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks - Annie Spence

I loved this book!  Annie Spence has a writing style that clicks with me completely, and I enjoyed her sense of humour immensely.

The first half of the book is a series of letters or notes that Annie, a librarian, has written to books over the years, either titles from her own shelves, or the ones that are getting weeded out of her public library's collection.  Some of these notes are poignant, (Fahrenheit 451, To Kill a Mockingbird), some are snarky (Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality) [I could barely write that title out without feeling snarky myself - ugh.], and while they're all pretty consistently hilarious, a few of them just made me laugh out loud (Cannery Row, written to a copy found in an all-men-sharehouse's bathroom, and My Truck Book); My Truck Book will be, in fact, the reason I'll be taking this book with me to coffee next week to show a friend of mine with a son currently in the "TRUCKS!" stage.

The second half of the book is a series of sections that are book recommendations and lists, based on topics like "Books I'll never break up with", and "Recovery Reads: A book lover's hair of the dog" and my absolute favourite: "I'd rather be reading: Excuses to tell your friends so you can stay home with your books", which she opens with this statement:

"If you're reading this, chances are you've experienced bouts of antisocial behaviour and 'read rage' outbursts towards friends and family.  Because, although you participate in society as much as necessary to convince your mom and the shrink your mom hired that you're not a shut-in, truth is, you'd rather be reading that doing just about anything.  Did you think it was just you?  It's not.  You've just never met any of the others, because we don't want to talk to you either."

Replace 'mom' with 'mother-in-law' and it's like she knows me.

I had a lot of fun with this book, it was fast paced and really well written.  I, of course, also have a handful of new titles to look for.  Hopefully, this is just the beginning of Spence's writing career; I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of her work.