jenn

Murder by Death

A Cajun Christmas Killing (Cajun Country Mystery, #4)

A Cajun Christmas Killing - Ellen Byron

I wavered between 3.5 and 4 stars for this one, but ultimately I enjoyed the story and was able to lose myself in Louisiana for a few hours and that's enough for a solid 4 stars.

The book got off to a shaky start for me because it begins with someone leaving malicious reviews online for Maggie's parent's B&B.  Now call me eccentric if you'd like, but while I'm all in for a good old fashioned murder mystery, I'm completely turned off by malicious behaviour.  Mean with a motive, I can do; mean for the sake of being mean and I'm out.  Luckily, this thread was a thin and short one and once it was resolved, I enjoyed the story and the characters a lot more.

Byron succeeds with the mystery plot be virtue of making it so chaotic there was no telling who done what.  The resolution was a tad weak, but not amongst the top 50 worst denouements I've ever read.

My only real complain about the book is that even though it takes place during Christmas and Christmas pops up here and there throughout the story, there's very little Christmas spirit.  But I find this to be true of most "Christmas" stories anymore, so I can't really gripe too much over it.

I'll definitely look forward to another Cajun Mystery.

Book themes for Día de Muertos and All Saint’s Day:  A book that has a primarily black and white cover, or one that has all the colours (ROYGBIV) together on the cover.