jenn

Murder by Death

Reading progress update: I've read 150 out of 256 pages.

Idiomantics: The Weird and Wonderful World of Popular Phrases - Peter Lewis, Philip Gooden

The sections on finance and military idioms was a little boring, to be honest.  But then came the Animals.  Now we're talking!

Some of my favourites so far are the ones that sound the most bizarre (at least in translation):

A Furphy:  This is an Aussie one, but it's only very recently that I've heard it used (probably because a brewer just released a beer called Furphy).  To tell a Furphy is to lie, or spread a rumour.

Ir a donde el rey / la reina va solo:  Spanish for to go where the king/queen goes alone.  And we yanks get grief for our bathroom euphemisms!  ;-)

Broodje aap verhaal:  Dutch for a monkey sandwich story.  Much more fun than just saying something is an urban myth

Avaler les couleuvres:  French idiom meaning To swallow grass snakes.  To believe everything your told, or to have to suffer a humiliation in silence.

Die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen:  German for to play the insulted liver sausage.  Explaining this almost ruins the fun of the translation, but it means to get in a huff or go off in a sulk.

And finally, one last one:

Avoir une araignée au plafond:  French idiom meaning to have a screw loose, translated as have a spider on the ceiling.

I'm sure there will be more; it's safe to say this book is not all hat and no cattle (one of my favs from my own country).