jenn

Murder by Death

A Most Novel Revenge (Amory Ames, #3)

A Most Novel Revenge - Ashley Weaver

Well, that was almost a Greek tragedy.

1930's England and Amory's cousin begs her by letter to join a house party at the Lyonsgate Estate; the first house party the estate has seen since a tragic weekend 7 years prior and with the exception of Amory and her husband, it's the same roster of guests.  They've all been brought back together by one woman who is determined to rake up all the secrets of the past and what really happened on that 'lost' weekend.

The series started with Amory estranged from her playboy husband, but instead of taking the obvious route - divorce and future romantic entanglements - the author brings Amory and her husband Milo back together for reconciliation.  Frankly I didn't think I'd like it and she sure didn't do much to sell Milo's legendary charm to the reader.  But three books in and I've warmed to Milo and find I don't mind him sticking around at all.

The plotting was amazing, frankly.  I never had a hint of where she was taking this story until the very end and when I read it, had to do a double take to make sure I'd read the right name.  I don't often trot out comparisons, but really, this was a mystery worthy of the era it's set in; very Christie-esque.

I rated it slightly lower than I usually would for such an outstanding mystery because the pacing was a bit slow; I never got bored or distracted, but neither did I feel antagonistic about being interrupted.  I might, upon further consideration, up it to 4.5, but for now it's a very, very solid 4 stars.

Total pages: 349  (qualifies for x3 location multiplier)

$$: $12.00