jenn

Murder by Death

BookLikes-opoly: Turn 12 (May 17th) - UPDATE

Today's roll:

Puts me squarely on:

There is not a category on this board I'm less likely to welcome, as I pretty generally dislike all things related to space and robots, thereby cancelling out almost all science fiction (before you say it, not a dystopian fan either, and I'd rather set Orwell's books on fire than read them).  I thought I might squeak by with Gail Carriger's Prudence, as most of her books have what she calls "mechanimals" - a steampunk version of robots.  But a word search using google books leaves me out of luck with this one.

This is o.k. with me - I knew odds were good that I'd hit this space sooner or later and was relieved at the beginning of the game to know that we had the choice of passing.   Which is what I'll be doing here - I'll be back at the game on Friday, and in the meantime, I'll catch up on some non-fiction.

Update:  SusannaG, in the comments below, has informed me that Prudence, by Gail Carriger, which I started reading last night after creating this post (because it was right in front of me), is actually listed on GR as Sci-Fi and appears on the first page.  So it looks like I'm in this round after all!  Thanks again SusannaG!

Prudence  - Gail CarrigerON BEHALF OF QUEEN, COUNTRY...AND THE PERFECT POT OF TEA.

When Prudence Alessandra Maccon Akeldama (Rue to her friends) is given an unexpected dirigible, she does what any sensible female would under similar circumstances -- names it the Spotted Custard and floats to India in pursuit of the perfect cup of tea. But India has more than just tea on offer. Rue stumbles upon a plot involving local dissidents, a kidnapped brigadier's wife, and some awfully familiar Scottish werewolves. Faced with a dire crisis and an embarrassing lack of bloomers, what else is a young lady of good breeding to do but turn metanatural and find out everyone's secrets, even thousand-year-old fuzzy ones?