jenn

Murder by Death

Fast Women

Fast Women - Jennifer Crusie

I've been talking up Agnes and the Hitman lately, and it got me in the mood for a re-read.  I wanted something slightly less madcap than Agnes though, so I went with Fast Women.

I've read this book at least half a dozen times - it's one of my favourite Jennifer Crusie books - and it never gets old for me.  Its three female leads are all extraordinarily three-dimensional; their marriages extraordinarily realistic; their coping strategies extraordinarily commonplace.  I love the interaction between the women, and between the women and their men.  What keeps this book from becoming a dreary, depressing drama is the humor that is constant throughout; these people are struggling, but they keep it in perspective.

Add to all of this a delicious murder mystery and for me it was, and still is, love.  The mystery is so well plotted, that even when you know how it's going to end, Crusie leaves you surprised at the end.

Chick-lit isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy some dramedy with strong female characters, tossed in with a murder mystery, I don't think you can go wrong giving this a try.