jenn

Murder by Death

The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle (Book Club Mystery, #2)

The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle - Laura DiSilverio

I read the first in this series without high hopes, frankly, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.  It had great characters, with a strong focus on friendships and family, and I really liked the chemistry between the MC Amy-Faye, and Detective Hart.

This second entry still has all of that - including the great chemistry - and those are the things that carried the story for me.  I've read enough cozies now that it's impossible to not feel weary when certain over-used tropes are trotted out, and the family/friend in peril is one of the most threadbare.  Still, I could have over-looked it (because there really are only so many reasons a girl can get herself involved in a murder mystery) but plots that involve the amateur detective and her friends running "investigations" that involve questioning suspects always make me roll my eyes.  I always end up with the sense that these characters are playing dress-up and make-believe.

Still, if a cozy fits the mood, there's at least as much to like as there isn't.  DiSilverio can write well, and it's one of the better edited books I've read (especially from Penguin) in awhile.