jenn

Murder by Death

SPOILER ALERT!

Reading progress update: I've read 237 out of 332 pages.

Venetia - Georgette Heyer

I'm going to put this whole thing into a temporary spoiler tag, because I think I got quite a bit further along than most tonight (MT is at a soccer game - micro readathon!).

So... regency world war at Undershaw!  It's a toss up as to who I think throws down with Mrs. Scorrier best: Aubrey, Nurse or occasionally Venetia, actually, no - Venetia doesn't come close to Aubrey or Nurse.  I like that nobody lets Mrs. Scorrier run roughshod over Venetia and Aubrey; I was expecting, upon their arrival in chapter 10, to have to slog through a whole lot of oppression and victimisation before someone rescued Venetia from the harridan.  It was refreshing to be wrong and entertaining to watch this regency War of the Roses.

But now we've come to the inevitable crises of the plot; lovers torn asunder, hearts broken, lots of stiff-upper-lipping going around.  I stopped before Venetia set off because the alternative was finishing the book and I don't want to get too far ahead.

One good thing about Heyer:  no angst!  Unless she's mocking it, in which case I thoroughly approve.

(show spoiler)