jenn

Murder by Death

On the Edge

On the Edge - Ilona Andrews

I love the Kate Daniels series and the synopsis for this one sounded pretty good; a place where two worlds overlapped - an in-between space only certain people could live.  Intriguing.

But... no.  The writing is solid, descriptive, evocative.  But this is much more a paranormal romance than an urban fantasy and animal cruelty is just treated too casually for me; it's not graphic, but it's prevalent.

This is also a book that would lose a lot of readers in the first half, especially those with low tolerance for male posturing and non-consent (no rape, to be clear, just the whole "I will have you! crap).  Andrews' here is a bit too clever for their own good (what is the proper pronoun usage for 2 people writing under 1 name?!?):  a lot of readers won't have the tolerance to stick around and discover just how wrong perceptions are in the first half of the book.

Overall, I'm not sorry I read it, but I won't read it again and I won't read the second book (I think there's a second book...).  I'll stick with Kate and Curran.