jenn

Murder by Death

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Lexicon of Life Hacks for the Modern Lady Geek - Sam Maggs

I sort of low-balled the rating on this one but not because it's not a good read - it is.  It's more a reflection of my not being exactly the demographic the book is aimed at.  Yes, I am female, and yes, I am a fan of things, but I am not at the fangirl level of anything that isn't a cute furry/feathered animal or that doesn't look like Chris Hemsworth playing Thor.  Because of this, there's a large section of this book that pertains to cons, cosplay and fanfic that does not apply to me or resonate with me.

However!  There's a lot of good stuff here and I learned a lot.  I also kept thinking that if I had a daughter (or son, actually) that was just getting old enough to pry the wi-fi password out of me, I'd make them read this book first.  The information that Maggs shares is good for everyone, but for someone new to the internet, there are vital lessons to be learned here painlessly and with humour, instead of in real life in a way that they won't soon live down.