jenn

Murder by Death

Reading progress update: I've read 101 out of 244 pages.

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland - Jim DeFede

I've had a lump in my throat since I opened the book to the first page.  It's surreal and awe-inspiring, the sheer enormity of suddenly accommodating 6000+ people with no warning; people who had only what they stowed away in the overhead compartments.

Nicotine.

After being kept on-board for over 6 hours with no hope of getting off the planes soon (some sat on the tarmac for 12 hours or more), passengers on all 252 passenger jets started having nicotine withdrawals - 2 of them had to be sedated to help with the shakes - and when the local pharmacist heard about this, he pulled all the nicotine gum out of his inventory, loaded up 25 cartons of nicotine patches into the back of his car and drove them out to the airport to be distributed to all who needed them.  For free.  Then he went back and called all the pharmacists in the area and started collecting all the rest of the necessary things everyone would need once they got off the planes, including over 4000 toothbrushes.

I'm not even half-way through this and I'm just moved beyond belief at the unremitting, unquestioning generosity Gander shared with everyone that day.