jenn

Murder by Death

Book Tag - How I read

tagged everyone in her post and this looked like fun, so here goes:

How do you find out about new books to read?

All of you people.  It's all your fault.   90% of my books are ordered online (not a lot of great bookstores around me, alas) so truly, BookLIkes and my BL friends are the source of almost all my new finds.  I occasionally - rarely really - go to the one local bookstore (they are so freaking expensive!) and browse, and almost always come out with impulse titles, but that's probably three times a year.

How did you get into reading?

The family lore is that my father got really tired of me barging in on his Sunday paper demanding he read the cartoons to me, and my mother and sister were going to lose their sanity if either had to read Fox in Sox one more time, so they started to teach me to read at 3.  I've been dragging books around ever since.

How have your tastes in books changed as you got older?

Not a lot.  (Other than adolescence.)  I've always stuck mostly to mysteries, as I love mind puzzles (but hate chess, go figure) and non-fiction science.  I forced myself at age 30 to read Sense and Sensibility because I felt like a cultural slug after 3 decades of avoiding anything with "classic" or "literature" in its description.  Best decision I ever made as it opened up Jane Austen and the historical fiction genre for me.  I started reading the first Sookie Stackhouse book thinking it was a cozy mystery and that opened up the very entertaining Urban Fantasy genre for me, but my first love remains mysteries.  And science.

How often do you buy books?

A lot.  Whenever I see a book I want and I think odds are good I'll enjoy it, I'll buy it.  I'm lucky to be able to enjoy that luxury and have a husband who finds it amusing.  I have been buying less lately since the AU $ isn't worth much at the moment, but it's still not what anyone could call a sedate pace.  Letting me loose in a FOTL book sale is akin to letting an alcoholic loose in a bottle shop.

How did you get into reviewing books?

Slowly and with great reluctance and trepidation.  See, I joined GoodReads because nobody I knew (in RL) loved books anywhere near as much as I did, and even if I met a fellow reader, they didn't like any of the same books I did.  Finding a whole group of people all over the world who not only loved to read but loved to read the same books was like winning the lottery.  But I still didn't want to review, because I was pretty certain I had nothing new to say, and lacked the skills to say the same old thing in an interesting way, but I also understood that I couldn't really be a part of a community without participating in it.  I still feel that way about my reviews and my writing, but I have come to like having a record of what I've read and my thoughts about it for my future self and I get such a rush when someone finds something useful in what I write.

How do you react when you don’t like the end of a book?

Mostly, meh.  I rarely bond to a book to the degree that an ending can inspire an emotional outburst.  Mostly a bad ending will just have me tossing the book down on the table with a sniff and a mental note about whether I'm going to continue reading the author/series.  A good ending will elicit a quiet "yay!" or "nice!".   Then there are those rarer books I've emotionally connected to.  Getting to the end and not liking it (Sookie Stackhouse) makes me stomp around and sulk for at least as long as it takes me to pick up another book.

How often do you take a sneak peek at the ending to see if there is a happy ending?

I have no issue at all with peeking at the ending if I'm worried a character I've grown attached to might bite it, or a couple I was cheering for might break up.  I read books to escape to my happy place, not be emotionally tossed around like a hammock in a hurricane.

Having said that, I don't actually peek at the ending very often.  Maybe 1 in 100.  Probably less.

Do you use bookmarks in your books?

Yes, but only because the books come with them in the mail.  I have literally hundreds of BookDepository and Wordery bookmarks all over the house (MT frequently finds them in the bedding), so I'm almost never without one.  When I am, I use whatever is handy that won't harm the book (MT cracked it when he found me using currency for a bookmark once).

I tag anyone who would like to participate.  I look forward to reading the responses.