jenn

Murder by Death

One Shrink's Practical Advice for Managing All Life's Impossible Problems

F*ck Feelings: One Shrink's Practical Advice for Managing All Life's Impossible Problems - Michael Bennett  MD, Sarah Bennet

I'm generally not a self-help reader, but the title of this one sucked me in.  I don't think there's a soul that knows me that would call me a mushy, emotional personality (unless it's covered in fur); it's not that I don't care, but I tend to be crap at expressing it and find I'm most comfortable with things I can fix.  So I found myself interested, of course, in a book that sort of spoke to me - shouted, really - right from it's bold yellow cover.

My overall impressions of the book:  well-written, bluntly stated, common sense advice that might be hard to hear for many but couched in dry, humorous, often irreverent narrative.  Each section follows a very precise format of introduction, list of what people would like in a dream-world, list of achievable goals, 3 real-life examples (which are amalgamations of patient stories, and therefore anonymous), further discussion relevant to those three examples, and finally, a form letter you can send/read to yourself or whomever it is that's driving you bonkers.  Sometimes there are charts of appropriate and inappropriate responses to certain situations and boxed out areas of additional information.

This makes for an extraordinarily organised layout, and the writing is hilarious, but it also makes for a repetition that I often found tedious, making the book easy to put down which meant it stayed on my currently reading list for approximately 300 times longer than it should have.  Still there was a lot of good, solid information and truth to be found and a section or two (or three) will definitely be referred back to in the future.