jenn

Murder by Death

The Haunting of Maddy Clarie

The Haunting of Maddy Clare - Simone St. James

Wow.

I put this book on my 'maybe' list well over a year ago and then promptly overlooked it for ages.  I even gave up and removed it from my lists altogether because I figured if I hadn't bought it yet, I wasn't really interested.

A recent review here on BL highly rating it brought it back to my attention at the same time I received a coupon from my favorite online bookseller so I just ordered it.

Jeez am I glad I did.  I loved this book.  This book hit all the right buttons for me: it was scary without being terrifying; it had great sexual tension (I am not going to call it 'romance' because there wasn't any romancing going on, but it was intense); it had a great plot and interesting characters and it was well-written.  The writing style reminded me of authors of the past, particularly Phyllis Whitney.

My only complaint is now I'm suffering from a book hangover - right before I leave for a long weekend at the beach.