jenn

Murder by Death

The Veil (Devil's Isle, #1)

The Veil - Chloe Neill

The first book in a new series by the author who writes the Chicagoland Vampires series, one of my favorite go-to UF series for snark and entertaining characters, The Veil started off slowly - so slowly I was a bit worried I was in for a let-down.

Seven years ago, the Veil that separates humanity from what lies beyond was torn apart, and New Orleans was engulfed in a supernatural war. Now, those with paranormal powers have been confined in a walled community called Devil's Isle.

Claire is a human but 7 months before the story begins she discovers she's a Sensitive and is absorbing magic.  Her need to keep this a secret is overcome one night when she sees a girl being attacked by wraiths and uses her magic to save her.  Liam is a bounty hunter who witnesses Claire's use of magic and offers to help her destroy the evidence and get her training to use and control her magic, so she doesn't become a wraith herself.

Things didn't pick up for me until the end of the chapter 4.  There was just too much time spend in Claire's head up to this point.  It works, because I ended up with the post-war scene quite clearly created in my head, as well as a strong sense of the melancholy, struggles and determination of NOLA's residents, but it was slow and it was boring.

Once chapter 5 started, I started to get interested.  Things started to happen. I like Clair and Liam and especially liked the slow build-up of snarky dialogue between them as they got to know each other better. No romance in this one, although some near misses; it seems we're in for a slow burn between these two before anyone gets lucky.

Overall, I was satisfied with the story; the slow start and a few editing errors that should have been caught brought the rating down.  (on page 188, Liam leaves the truck running because he may not be able to re-start it.  In the next paragraph, when he leaves the truck door open, Claire muses that it hardly matters because a wraith couldn't hot-wire a vehicle.  If the truck was left running, why would anyone need to hot-wire it?)  But I am looking forward to the next book and finding out more about the characters in Delta and seeing what happens next.