jenn

Murder by Death

Grace Cries Uncle (Manor House Mystery, #6)

Grace Cries Uncle - Julie Hyzy

I like Julie Hyzy's writing style, although I enjoy her White House Chef mystery more than this one.  They're definitely cozies but the characters are allowed to have some depth of personality and I appreciate that after a never ending stream of often two-dimensional MCs.

This depth of character is what got this book it's fourth star.  Grace has been estranged from her sister since she took off with Grace's fiancé and never really got along with her before that.  Now her sister's back and needs a place to stay.  Cozy mystery cliché says the sisters have deep-felt, meaningful conversations, band together to solve the mystery and bury the hatchet once and for all to live in sisterly harmony.  Which is a complete and utter load of crap and thankfully the author doesn't try to make the reader swallow it.  I know that in a perfect world, siblings love and respect each other but the reality is they often don't.  Grace doesn't sugarcoat anything with her sister and the ending isn't an HEA poster for sibling love, either.  This spot of realism elevated the read, in my opinion.

The mystery was good, but I guessed the ending pretty early on.  You win some, you lose some.