jenn

Murder by Death

Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson

Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson - Patricia Briggs

You know how anthologies are, there's almost always a gem or two, a handful of mediocre stories, and a few complete duds.  Stories the authors must have phoned it because they barely qualify as stories.

Not this one.

This is the best anthology of short stories in one book I've yet read.  A collection for Mercy Thompson and Co. fans, and every one of these stories is outstanding.  Nothing here has been phoned in: the writing is excellent, thoughtful - it feels like the author spent time getting these right.  Even the outtakes at the back are, while definitely not stand-alone stories, vividly written scenes that instantly transported me to time and place.

I'm not sure if I can pick a favorite or not, but Silver and Roses in Winter certainly were stories I enjoyed immensely.  But I find myself far more intrigued by Bran, Charles and Asil than I am about any of the characters in Washington State, so that bias might lend a bit of weight to these stories for me.  But mostly we're talking about small degrees of difference.  Every single story was good - great even.  There isn't a single one I'd rate less than 4 stars, so I'm just going to go ahead and 5 star the whole book.

Thanks Ms. Briggs for the wonderful stories.