jenn

Murder by Death

My mini-epiphany...

I almost hate to admit this to people I know sometimes have hundreds of books on the TBR piles/lists, if not more.  But normally, my TBR pile is very small; I'm sort of chicken to expand to new genres and I'm über-picky about which books I buy/read within my genres.

But it started with the GoodReads debacle and my realisation that they were never going to embrace transparency as it pertained to their policies and that I didn't want to be one of the mindless that just went along with it because it didn't affect me personally.  The whole experience was demoralising; I found myself reluctant to pick up a book - any book.

Then summer hit here in AU - a late one, so I was able to forget about all the nonsense and concentrate on my garden, and on re-painting the last room in our house, which also required stripping back a set of 100+ year old windows.  Legit and time consuming reasons not to have time to pick up a book.

Then my DH fractured his sternum (don't ask - it happened during a 'boys weekend' - 'nuff said) and lots of things got put on hold, so suddenly there's a lot more time to read, right?  Yeah, but I'm not.  But by god, I'm still buying.  I have the biggest damn TBR pile I've ever had in my life and I just stare at it and think...'meh'.  That's not to say I haven't read some good books lately, but every time I go to get a new one, I'm back to staring blankly and again with the 'meh'.

Here's where the mini-epiphany comes in:  on Wednesday I realised:  quite a lot of these books are the newest in series I just consider to be 'meh'.  And I'm looking at them like they are chores.  Why, why, why do I keep buying these books when I clearly think the series are average at best?  Upon self-reflection, I've come to the conclusion that I'm afraid of running out of books to read; I'd rather have average ones to fall back on then to run out.  Objectively, I know this is utter crap - I'll never run out of books to read.  Emotionally, what in the name of holy cheese whiz am I going to do if I run out of books to read?!?!

I'm going to be proactive about this:  I'll be purposely reading the 'meh' ones in the coming week or two to get them out of the pile and their series off my shelves.  I can't say I won't revert to hoarding new average books again against the mythical book shortage, but at least I can say goodbye to those I'm more than ready to part with.

Will I ever want to read this book again?  If the answer is "no" then into the FOTL bag it goes.  More shelf space for more new books, and a TBR pile I look forward to dipping in to...  It's all good!