jenn

Murder by Death

13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time - Michael Brooks

As anyone who has spent exactly 3 second on my page knows, I looovvee a good mystery.  What may not be as screamingly obvious is my love of almost all things science (I admit, space bores me - I know it's important; but I also think it's boring.)

I'm a big fan of NewScientist magazine, and was a faithful subscriber before moving to AU.  So when I read about this book, 13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time, and that it's author was a NewScientist contributor, I quickly ordered it.  I mean, Science?  and Mysteries?  I am sooo there.

Almost all (if not all) of these mysteries are Weighty Stuff.  5 of the mysteries are space-related, the rest are more of a terrestrial nature.  The author does a pretty decent job of writing about them without overwhelming the everyday reader with too much terminology, but it leans a bit towards the dry in tone.

Brooks does a very, very good job of talking about these issues, their historical origins, the direction research is going with each; but he's not Bill Bryson - this isn't a chatty book about the coolness of science and it's mysteries.  These chapters read like a very well researched article.  Each is, in it's own way, controversial and some of them are hot button topics:  cold fusion, free will, homeopathy.   I personally found myself all het up about the free will chapter; I think he oversimplifies the idea of free will.

I'd suggest this book to anyone who bridges the gap between "I don't know anything about science, but it's cool!" and "I did my thesis work at MIT".  It's chapters are intriguing, informative and thought provoking.

However, I'm now off to read something much less weighty - perhaps something with a bad pun in the title...