jenn

Murder by Death

Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper #3)

Kansas Troubles - Earlene Fowler

Re-reading this 7 years later, this book did not hold up as well as the others.  My impatience with series books with 'away' settings reared its ugly head and I struggled with impatience.  And Gabriel was an ass throughout most of this book.  Not a misogynist, not a men-are-smarter-than-women ass, but just a closed off, overprotective one.  I'd have left him in the middle of a wheat field more than once.

The writing continues to be solid though, as does the mystery plotting.  Harper doesn't pull any punches in her plots; people are devastated, lives ruined, very little in the way of true happy endings.  But compelling reading nonetheless.

---------old review below---------------

I think this series just keeps getting better and better. I normally dislike books within a series that "travel" - take place outside the normal setting. This book was an exception. Really, the mystery was just excellent and the character development, the relationship between Benni and Gabe, is outstanding. The author writes these stories with thought, deliberation, and authenticity.