jenn

Murder by Death

Murder Unmentionable (Sweet Nothings Lingerie Mystery #1)

Murder Unmentionable - Meg London

This is the first in a new series about a woman who moves back home to Paris, Tennessee to help her Aunt renovate and run the lingerie shop.

There's a lot to like about this book - great characters, interesting setting, and a smattering of vintage clothing talk if you like vintage. If you don't, it isn't overwhelming at all. The author has done a really nice job setting up an alternate reality a lot of readers will want to visit and get to know better.

Unfortunately, I found the mystery part of the story to be lacking. The killer was obvious to me from the very start, and the amateur sleuthing felt awkward and well, if you'll pardon my use of the word when talking about murder mysteries, unrealistic. I felt myself skimming quite a bit, but that could be because I had no doubt as to whodunnit.

Lastly, my very biggest pet peeve inside a book - the hugely antagonistic attitude of the investigating police detective. Someone Emma dumped back in the mists of high school, who has apparently not let it go well into adulthood. Why am I expected to believe that *anyone* can be so outright antagonistic, rude, and, well, stupid - never mind someone in the professional capacity of investigating detective?!? It's the 21st century and in the real world, a detective that rude would be brought up for misconduct and I expect at least that much realism in my cozies. I do not want caricatures or cartoon characters in my mysteries, thankyouverymuch.

The books saving grace was he wasn't around very much - otherwise this would have been a 2 star read for me.  I'll look for the next book, because the world the author has drawn is a good one that interests me. I look forward to seeing the mystery plotting improve and hope that the detective is the next victim.