jenn

Murder by Death

The Flat Book Society: Decision time on a number of fronts.

First things first: Happy New Year Flat Bookers!

Ok.  We were supposed to start our first book of the new year yesterday/today.  The winning book at this moment is:

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements - Sam Kean

Obviously, I completely failed at notifying anyone of the scheduled read.  Health and work issues here at Casa de Campo have just left me dropping balls left, right and center.  It's not an excuse, but it's something I need to address (see below).

So we have a few options:

1. We start this month's read, with this book, right away, and carry on normally.

2. We start this month's read, with this book, in a couple of weeks and have a compressed timeline for reading it (generally we have 8 weeks between books, so this is not as bad as it sounds).  This would give people time to acquire the book.

3. We toss this vote out completely and start from scratch, with a delayed start*.

4. We skip this month's read completely and start fresh in March**.

* - This one is going to require us to do everything in a big fat hurry. (See **)

** - Of course we could push back to February, but that puts us on a schedule that has us reading a book in December, which seems even more fated to failure, with the holidays etc.

I'm inclined to say let's do #1 or #2; but I have the book on hand, and this group is a sort-of democracy, so please let me know what you'd like to do in the comments.

Also, while I'm feeling much more energised and optimistic now than I was 2 months ago, or even 2 weeks ago, I am going to be up-front and say I still have an insane work schedule waiting for me in a few weeks, and health issues on the home front that are gong to sap my attention for the foreseeable future.

So, I'm asking if any of the members would be interested / willing to be a co-host with me and Huggins?  Co-hosting would involve sharing the load of the voting announcement posts, update posts, and clearing/adding to the voting list in the book group (which I'm happy to explain the mechanics of, if needed).

The only downside to a book group that only reads 1 book every 2 months is that it is easy to loose momentum unless the host/s keep it going with posts.  I'm obviously struggling/failing too much to do that effectively.  So, anybody interested?  Let me know in the comments.

Huggins says: Happy New Year!