jenn

Murder by Death

24 Festive Tasks: Hanukkah, Tasks #1 and #4

Task 1:  Have you had any miracles in your life?  (Kids are a given.)  Just enough change for tolls?  Just enough gas to get you to the station?  Been tragically late for a flight only to find the flight was even more tragically delayed?  Nothing is too small - share your miracles with us!

There's been one bonafide miracle that's touched my life.  One of my best friends has been a single dad since his son was 9 months old. Around that same time, I'd moved back home after 5 years away. My friend's little boy took to me straight away, and I to him.  What started out as me just trying to help out a bit when we were out and about, became over time a very solid relationship between me and this gorgeous, smart little guy.  I was, I guess you could say, his favorite not-mom; I loved him as though he were mine, but I was always super-careful not to blur that line (though some of our friends weren't - one told him to 'go see his mom' and he came straight to me. Awkward, but nice.).

Anyway, when he was 9, I was en route home from a business trip to Poland, and during a layover, I got a call from a mutual friend, Robert, to tell me that the boy had been air-lifted to the nearest children's hospital and was in ICU.  He'd gotten a flu bug, and when he wasn't getting better, but worse, his dad took him to the local emergency room and it was there that they discovered his blood glucose level was 1300 mg/dL (about 72 mmol/L).  Normal blood glucose levels are in the 75-120 mg/dL range.  Robert (a life-long diabetic himself) was not optimistic, given those numbers (at that level you don't have blood so much as molasses running through your veins).

I got on the plane home and went straight to the hospital (luckily not far from the  airport).  When I walked into the ICU that morning, he truly looked like death himself.  But in spite of this, the hospital was optimistic that he'd turned a corner.  Sure enough, several hours later he'd improved so much that he was not only moved to a private room, but was allowed to walk to it on his own.  As we were walking to his room, we passed a fish tank and had to stop and check out all the fish - a compulsion developed years before, after watching Finding Nemo together.  That same night, he curled up in my lap, complaining he was hungry, and together we learned how to inject insulin and check his blood sugar.  He went home the next day.  He's a twenty-something now and doing great.

Children are resilient, but his recovery was both a testament to modern medicine, and a damn bloody miracle.

On a lighter note, me being lucky enough to meet MT, and luckier still that he was interested in keeping me around, probably qualifies as a miracle too.  Y'all have heard enough about him from me over the years to know it's true.  ;-)

Task 4:  A miracle crucial to Hanukkah is the Miracle of the cruse of oil, which concerns a jug of oil that (ostensibly) only contained enough oil for a single day, but miraculously turned out to last all of eight days. – Miracles aside, tell us: Have you ever experienced that something you had bought or you owned lasted a lot longer than anticipated … or where you expected a shortage which then fortuitously didn’t occur after all?

When I was in New Zealand about 18 months ago (June 2017), I bought a facial cleanser on a whim.

I'm not embarrassed to admit, i bought it solely because it was made of mud and smelled like limes.  It was weird in the way that appeals to my inner weirdness.   Turns out it's a great facial cleanser, and it hasn't run out yet.  I've been using it consistently all this time, and it shows no signs of emptying.  Truly, a pea-size dollop of this stuff covers your face and neck, but still, I expected to run out long before now, and I'm delighted that I haven't.