jenn

Murder by Death

The Flat Book Society: The new - and hopefully more available - September read!

Get Well Soon: History's Worst Plagues and the Heroes Who Fought Them - Jennifer   Wright

Our re-vote for September's new read was a landslide win.  Get Well Soon: History's Worst Plagues and the Heroes Who Fought Them by Jennifer Wright  beat out its nearest rival by 3 votes.  Landslides are relative here at the Flat Book Society.

A witty, irreverent tour of history's worst plagues—from the Antonine Plague, to leprosy, to polio—and a celebration of the heroes who fought them

In 1518, in a small town in Alsace, Frau Troffea began dancing and didn’t stop. She danced until she was carried away six days later, and soon thirty-four more villagers joined her. Then more. In a month more than 400 people had been stricken by the mysterious dancing plague. In late-seventeenth-century England an eccentric gentleman founded the No Nose Club in his gracious townhome—a social club for those who had lost their noses, and other body parts, to the plague of syphilis for which there was then no cure. And in turn-of-the-century New York, an Irish cook caused two lethal outbreaks of typhoid fever, a case that transformed her into the notorious Typhoid Mary.

Throughout time, humans have been terrified and fascinated by the diseases history and circumstance have dropped on them. Some of their responses to those outbreaks are almost too strange to believe in hindsight. Get Well Soon delivers the gruesome, morbid details of some of the worst plagues we’ve suffered as a species, as well as stories of the heroic figures who selflessly fought to ease the suffering of their fellow man. With her signature mix of in-depth research and storytelling, and not a little dark humor, Jennifer Wright explores history’s most gripping and deadly outbreaks, and ultimately looks at the surprising ways they’ve shaped history and humanity for almost as long as anyone can remember.

Hopefully, this will prove to be a much more easily obtainable text for everyone wishing to participate.

I'm just speculating here, but for those who are on the fence about joining us, looking at the book's description, I'd say odds are pretty good that might work for - maybe - a category or two on the as-yet-unveiled 2018 Halloween Bingo.  I mean, plagues.  A club for people with no nose.  Typhoid Mary y'all.  Just the description makes me think it's a definite contender for Horror, so hopefully, a possible twofer for some of us in September.

Also, I just wanted to mention The Flat Book Society is 1 year old!  Woo!  I can't believe we made it a whole year.  Cake for everyone!

This is so undignified.  Where's the cake?