jenn

Murder by Death

Well, this is a worry. This could change how we BookLikes.

Upfront:  I haven't done any research (yet) beyond this article, but the site is a trusted site and the article explains the issues clearly.

The tl;dr version is:  The EU votes tomorrow (the 5th) on legislation that would change how copyright laws work on the internet.  On the surface, this didn't concern me much.  But there are two articles in the legislation that will affect everyone - especially bloggers.

Apparently the wording of both is vague, but Article 11, states if one website hyperlinks to another site in an article, it would require websites to pay for a license to do so.  So I'd have to pay to share a link with my friends, or link to source material?

Article 13 would make publishers responsible for all content that’s posted on their site, even from users. So if you posted a link to or picture of copyrighted material in a post, or in the comments, the website would be liable.

This concerns me most because we here at BookLikes use a lot of quotes, memes, gifs and other images, where copyright isn't always clear.  Article 13 says BookLikes would be held liable for these infractions - even if they're posted in comments - not the users.

Anyone who has spent any time trying to understand copyright laws knows it's a quagmire of interpretations, exceptions and loopholes (at least US copyright is).  So this could all just be a bee in a bonnet, but up to this point BookLikes has always proudly seen our blogs as OURS and categorically stated they'd never censor anything we posted on them.  If this legislation passes, how will it affect BookLikes' policies?  They're an EU company that will have to abide by the new legislation, placing them in the unenviable position of possibly having to police our posts to cover their own liability.  Not cool, and probably more than BookLikes can take on from a resource point of view.

So, my EU friends - any insights?  Is this as possibly problematic as it looks to be?  Does it have good odds of passing?  Thoughts on how this might effect BookLikes and our lovely, utopian-like book community?