Murder by Death

The Flat Book Society: March Read Announcement

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life - Ed Yong

Voting has closed for the next Flat Book Society read, starting March 1st and the winner is I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Ed Yong

As always, this read is open to anyone and everyone interested in reading along with us. Joining the group is not necessary but we welcome everyone.  We read a group chosen, popular science book every other month.  Discussions may or may not take place in the group itself, but there are always active and lively chats on members' posts.  Details about how we choose the books and when can be found in the club's discussion group.

In the next day or so, the voting list will be cleared and new submissions can be made for the May 1st read.

Description of I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life:

A groundbreaking, wondrously informative, and vastly entertaining examination of the most significant revolution in biology since Darwin—a “microbe’s-eye view” of the world that reveals a marvelous, radically reconceived picture of life on earth.

Every animal, whether human, squid, or wasp, is home to millions of bacteria and other microbes. Ed Yong, whose humor is as evident as his erudition, prompts us to look at ourselves and our animal companions in a new light—less as individuals and more as the interconnected, interdependent multitudes we assuredly are.

The microbes in our bodies are part of our immune systems and protect us from disease. In the deep oceans, mysterious creatures without mouths or guts depend on microbes for all their energy. Bacteria provide squid with invisibility cloaks, help beetles to bring down forests, and allow worms to cause diseases that afflict millions of people.

Many people think of microbes as germs to be eradicated, but those that live with us—the microbiome—build our bodies, protect our health, shape our identities, and grant us incredible abilities. In this astonishing book, Ed Yong takes us on a grand tour through our microbial partners, and introduces us to the scientists on the front lines of discovery. It will change both our view of nature and our sense of where we belong in it.,

Hopefully, this one will be at least as enjoyable as Storm in a Teacup!