jenn

Murder by Death

The Flat Book Society - OMG I'm so far behind...

Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life - Helen Czerski Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life - Helen Czerski Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life - Helen Czerski

So please count this post as the 14-day reminder, the 7-day reminder and the

Our latest buddy read starts tomorrow! post.

The Flat Book Society is starting Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life by Helen Czerski tomorrow, January 1st.

Threads will be setup sometime today for discussion in the group.  Anyone is welcome to join us for the read or, if interested in reading popular science with a group of fellow science nuts, welcome to join The Flat Book Society; we read one title, voted on by the group, every other month.  (Voting is currently open for the March 1st read.)

Book description:

A physicist explains daily phenomena from the mundane to the magisterial.

Take a look up at the stars on a clear night and you get a sense that the universe is vast and untouchable, full of mysteries beyond comprehension. But did you know that the key to unveiling the secrets of the cosmos is as close as the nearest toaster?

In Storm in a Teacup, Helen Czerski provides the tools to alter the way we see everything around us by linking ordinary objects and occurrences, like popcorn popping, coffee stains, and fridge magnets, to big ideas like climate change, the energy crisis, or innovative medical testing. She guides us through the principles of gases (“Explosions in the kitchen are generally considered a bad idea. But just occasionally a small one can produce something delicious”); gravity (drop some raisins in a bottle of carbonated lemonade and watch the whoosh of bubbles and the dancing raisins at the bottom bumping into each other); size (Czerski explains the action of the water molecules that cause the crime-scene stain left by a puddle of dried coffee); and time (why it takes so long for ketchup to come out of a bottle).

Along the way, she provides answers to vexing questions: How does water travel from the roots of a redwood tree to its crown? How do ducks keep their feet warm when walking on ice? Why does milk, when added to tea, look like billowing storm clouds? In an engaging voice at once warm and witty, Czerski shares her stunning breadth of knowledge to lift the veil of familiarity from the ordinary. You may never look at your toaster the same way.

Looking forward to it!